Eatontown, NJ asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for New Jersey

Q: Can my 6 year old ADHD son be kicked out of aftercare? He has an IEP in school. I believe he is protected by the ADA.

He got his 2nd warning yesterday for pushing a student. He is extremely impulsive and cannot control himself. I read the aftercare's policy handbook and it said students can be terminated if physical towards other kids, but at the end of the handbook it states that they abide by the American Disability Act. I believe he is being discrimated against.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lori E. Arons
Lori E. Arons
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Hackensack, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It is always difficult to answer questions without knowing a particular child's full profile, but children with disabilities are protected from disability discrimination under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act. I recently handled a case where the student was going to be excluded from aftercare because of behavioral issues that are a manifestation of his disability, and we were able to get the school to provide a 1:1 aide for him during aftercare so that he would have access to the aftercare program. That was a self injurious child with autism, but the laws that apply to children with disabilities are the same regardless of what the particular disability is. What may vary, is the accommodation needed.

Disclaimer: this answer is for general information purposes only, it is not intended as legal advise, and no attorney-client relationship has been established.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.