Las Vegas, NV asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Idaho

Q: I'm the victim of domestic violence/strangulation and with minors present, can I drop the charges and set the abuser fr

this is in Idaho - my husband/boyfriend has been jail a week. I want to drop the charges that I never put, the hospital put the charges, but I dont want him to get charged. this was his first offense.

what can I do?

the prosecutor has been pushing me to testify against him and if I dont cooperate, the prosecutor is telling me I can have my children taken away.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jordan C. Moody
Jordan C. Moody
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID

A: This is a question for a criminal defense attorney, and I would seek a consultation with a one as soon as possible. But the prosecutor cannot have your children taken away if you refuse to testify. That can only be decided by a judge.

If there were signs of physical injury, the prosecutor can bring charges without your cooperation.

If you have follow up immigration questions, please let me know. Victims of crimes can qualify for immigration benefits, but only if they are helpful in an investigation or prosecution of the crime that was committed against them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.