Mount Pleasant, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: Can a child over 18 sign off on past child support payments for their parent?

Mom and dad were never married. I'm in my 20s now, and my mom is paying past child support. But it no long applies to me, and I never felt that it did in the case of my father. He keeps attacking her to pay it, but I don't think that he should be able to anymore, because I have not been a dependent of him since I was 18.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Colman
Neil Colman
  • Clinton Township, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Unfortunately, the answer is no. It is the recipient of support who is entitled to the money for the funds expended and for which they did not receive support from the payer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.