Norman, OK asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma

Q: 17 turn 18 in 2 months want to move to another state without parents permission

I’m 17 and I turn 18 in 2 months and there’s a lot of family problems and I want to move to puerto Rico with a family friend without my moms permission, if my mom files me as a runway what would happen to me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You possibly could be picked up as a "Runaway Juvenile" in your new home, before you turn 18, BUT, a good lawyer there could probably prevent them returning you to your home. AND, considering everything, and you being almost 18, I seriously doubt if this would happen. Also, to return you, they would have to pay your airfare back home. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.