Port Huron, MI asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Michigan

Q: After a total hip replacement, doctor ordered but then cancelled my PT. I have not had any, should I pursue this?

I received a total hip replacement in September of 2017. After my discharge my orthopedic doctor ordered a nurse and physical therapy.

After the initial PT visit, the doctor cancelled the PT, the nurse was confused and followed up with the doctors office and they told her it was being held off until my first follow up visit so the doctor can see the seats.

After the first follow up, he said he would wait until the next follow up. That's come and gone and he never mention it or ordered the PT.

It's now 3 months later with no PT and I still can't tie the one shoe, put on a sock, cut my nails, I still walk with a limp, ECT.

Is this worth pursuing with an attorney?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: I'd talk to the doctors assistant, explain that the doctor indicated you'd be getting PT but you haven't heard back and you wonder as you still have problems if you'll be getting PT or what.

Or make an appointment with your GP, explain what happened, ask if that's usual, and chances are they'll follow up.

It's early to follow up with a doctor as when and how much PT to prescribe is variable. Sounds like sloppy follow up but given the very significant costs of a medical negligence case, most attorneys don't take those that do not have clear negligence and very heavy damages, and the folks in Lansing are bent on making it ever tougher to bring a case.

Under no circumstances mention to any medstaff that you are even thinking of talking to a lawyer or all the sudden your next appointment will "have to be rescheduled" and "so sorry, the doctor is booked until June, perhaps you'd like a different practice." That's any doctor because next to a malpractice case they fear being "dragged into " one by an "overly litigious patient."

A few more months of trying to get follow up going, if nothing is happening contact a member of the Michigan Assn for Justice who handles medical cases in the area of the state you are in; they give free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.