Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Michigan Health Care Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Libel & Slander for Michigan on

Q: Can someone call your doctor and lie to them?

My doctor said someone called my doctors office. They didn’t leave a name or phone number. They told my doctor i was doing drugs. What do I do? They almost cost me my script.

Brent T. Geers answered on Aug 20, 2019

I suppose it's evidenced by your question. Will a doctor act on advice from an anonymous person? Hopefully not.

I would imagine that your doctor asked you some questions about drug use. Which is appropriate, and could happen regardless of this anonymous call. Certainly, it's...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Michigan on

Q: can a hospital seize my savings for a hospital bill?

I had a seizure and woke up in the hospital the next day and now they say I owe over $25,000 dollars.

Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 25, 2019

I hope you're okay as a result of your seizure. If this is a recent development, you should be able to take steps to avert action on your account. How you proceed is a personal decision, based on your finances, ability to negotiate, and other factors. One option you have is to contact the hospital... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Michigan on

Q: I have mental health problems, can i use medical marijuana while on probation?

I am on probation in michigan usa for a DUI, but i have SERIOUS mental health problems including insomnia, depression, adhd, anxiety, bi-polar. I was reccomended i get my medical marijuana card, can i do that while on probation?

Brent T. Geers answered on Apr 23, 2019

You would first need to inquire with your probation officer, and then possibly have the judge's permission. Contrary to what many people believe, marijuana is not prescribed like a doctor may do for ordinary medication from a pharmacy. Because of that, judges don't have to allow you to use... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Health Care Law for Michigan on

Q: I'm being sued for medical bills. Asked for reduced offer & monthly payments was told no. What can I do?

I sent a letter requesting a reduced settlement amount and monthly payments to settle the debt. I was told they would not do payments that it had to be one lump sum and I can't afford that. I've received the subpoena from the court and have no idea what to do to get this resolved as I can't afford... Read more »

Adam Alexander answered on Apr 10, 2019

You have a few options. Have you considered bankruptcy? If you significant unsecured (credit cards, collection accounts) debt, I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy lawyer.

Do you deny the debt or can you object to the amount of the alleged balance? If so, you can fight. Hiring a lawyer...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Health Care Law for Michigan on

Q: My estranged husband dropped me from his health coverage while I am under a doctors care. Do I have any legal recourse?

I left the marriage due to domestic abuse and adultery. I snuck away with nothing but my clothes and car, while he was at work. I have been homeless since leaving the marriage but at least I am now safe. He makes a 6-figure income and is in a high-profile position for the City of Battle Creek. I... Read more »

Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 12, 2019

You will need to get about the business of filing for divorce quickly to fully resolve this issue. You may be entitled to free legal assistance considering your financial status and domestic violence allegations.

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Michigan on

Q: Hi, my mother came as a visitor and had a stoke and I paid medical bills and care,can I claim her medical expenses,no SS

She doesn’t have social security can I claim her medical expenses that I paid for her care and doctor visits and medicine

Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 2, 2018

You need to seek advice from an accountant or other tax professional. Quite likely, the answer will be no.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Michigan on

Q: My brother and fiance are dealing with very serious accusation by detectives and police about their baby, who can help

Detectives and police are questioning them about drugs and abuse. There 2month old is in serious condition at Bronson hospital. They don't do any of that. They need legal advise. The doc says my niece has blood on her brain consistent with Blunt force trauma or a car crash and she's having... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Oct 1, 2018

They need legal advice (with a "c"). A lawyer advises and provides advice.

Who are you going to call? You surely cannot call GHOSTBUSTERS.

Who do you call when you need legal services? Yes, you know. You contact a lawyer.

So you contact lawyers and seek to retain a lawyer

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Michigan on

Q: After a total hip replacement, doctor ordered but then cancelled my PT. I have not had any, should I pursue this?

I received a total hip replacement in September of 2017. After my discharge my orthopedic doctor ordered a nurse and physical therapy.

After the initial PT visit, the doctor cancelled the PT, the nurse was confused and followed up with the doctors office and they told her it was being held... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 30, 2017

I'd talk to the doctors assistant, explain that the doctor indicated you'd be getting PT but you haven't heard back and you wonder as you still have problems if you'll be getting PT or what.

Or make an appointment with your GP, explain what happened, ask if that's usual, and chances are...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on

Q: Is the due process clause absolute?

Glenn B. Manishin answered on Feb 17, 2017

Due process requires at a minimum notice and an opportunity to be heard before the government deprives a person of life, liberty or property, but otherwise can vary with the circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Michigan on

Q: Question about circumcision


Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 23, 2016

If you are over 20 I can't imagine any state that wouldn't find that you are barred by the Statute of Limitations. Let me note however that your parents had given consent, so the doctor was doing what at the time was viewed as a normal procedure.Let me also note that many doctors still believe... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.