Portland, OR asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: What type of notice do I need for a NC eviction if my name isn’t on the lease but have paid steady rent for a year?

I pay the majority of my bills in cash, so her name ended up on the lease and utility bills. I have paid steady rent for over a year. She’s telling me to out so her close friend can live with her instead and has given me 60 days to do so, not 90.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR

A: The answer to your question depends upon the exact details, such as who do you pay your rent to? The master landlord? Or to your roommate? If to the roommate, then she may well be your landlord (likely in violation of her lease unless it is with her landlord's knowledge and permission). If she is, and she wants to terminate your month to month tenancy without cause, she has to legally serve you with a legally compliant no cause termination of tenancy notice, providing you at least 90 days advance notice (assuming your rental dwelling is within the city limits of Portland). Anything less should be unenforceable. If you pay directly to her landlord, then she likely has no right to terminate your tenancy at all, regardless of notice. She likely can, however, terminate her tenancy with the landlord which would also likely terminate your tenancy as well. Questions? Gather up everything and review it all with a local landlord-tenant attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.