Baltimore, MD asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: If house was raided without existing warrant (illeg srch seize)does money seized legally get returned (no charges filed)

York County Pennsylvania drug task force Force entrance into home, Seized $9,000 of life savings for finding less than a quarter pound of marijuana only to then request copy of search warrant affidavit as well as the property / inventory voucher of all assets and items seized that they refuse to give a copy of stating it isnt necessary

1 Lawyer Answer
Zak Taylor Goldstein
Zak Taylor Goldstein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Not necessarily. In order to get the money back, you would have to file a petition for return of property. You would want to retain a lawyer for that. You then may have to show that the money came from a legitimate source and did not have anything to do with drug trafficking. If you do not file the petition, you will not get the money back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.