Asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: Received a citation for reckless driving coming down a bridge (55 in a 30), it's my first offense. What should I do?

The officer was sitting after the speeding limit sign changed from 30 to 45. I can't afford to go to jail or lose my license. I have a clean driving record. Should I get a lawyer for court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wilfred Yeargan
Wilfred Yeargan
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes, hire a lawyer to go to court and get it dismissed or reduced to a traffic infraction. You have a great record, and it is unlikely you will lose your license or go to jail. But your objective should be to get the misdemeanor taken care of, so you do not have a permanent criminal conviction.

Consider getting a speedometer calibration before court. Take a driver improvement course. And call an experienced lawyer well before your court date. If you need free advice, you can call my office at 703-352-9044.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.