South Weymouth, MA asked in Divorce for New Hampshire

Q: Wife and kids moved in March to MA kids finished school in NH till the end of June. Where were they considered residents

She is claiming they have the 6 months needed residence for the kids for her to try to have the divorce moved to MA. Are they considered NH residents still while they still went to school in NH? I filed in October for the divorce.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: The children's residence will most likely be determined to be where they live not where they attend school. March was quite some time ago so it really will depend on where they resided for all that time. I wonder if the school has the children's address listed in Mass or NH? Be careful how you bring this up if both of you wanted the children in school and they reside in Mass but you did not let the school know they moved. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.