Tallahassee, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: what are the chances of a woman getting full custody if she files for divorce?

My Brothers wife has decided she wants a divorce and will not let him see their son unless she is there. She told him she was going for sole custody and that the only time he can see the baby is if she is there. She does not have a job, lives with her parents. My brother lives with my grandpa but has a full time job. He worked out of town supporting them for most of the sons life, only returning on certain weekends. Is it possible that the judge will grant 50/50 custody? And can she not allow him to leave with the baby on his time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee N Feinberg
Lee N Feinberg
  • Bonita Springs, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Husbands and wives of minor children have the same rights to see those children and be a parent to those children, unless there is an order from a court starting otherwise. She will have to convince a judge that her husband is unfit or that it would be a detriment to the child. The right to raise your children is a very strong constitutional right. It may be time to file for a Dissolution of Marriage and have the husband get his rights set forth in a court order. That is the best advice I can give without knowing more.

Lee N. Feinberg, Esq.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.