Asked in Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: I got truancy court for my daughter what will happen

I moved out of state the school was informed i was not in the state i moved back and started enrolling my daughter in k12 but because there was lack of communication i got a call from truancy put here in public school amd was told i had to go to court for truancy

1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie A Bristol
Marjorie A Bristol
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Goodlettsville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You will go to court. The judge will ask the school system how many days the child has been absent. The judge will ask you why the child was absent and if you have any doctors' notes to excuse the absences. The judge may ask DCS to open a case if they are worried about your ability to care for the child or get the child to go to school. As far as the end result, so much depends on the judge. I highly recommend that you consult an attorney and hire one if at all possible. You are potentially facing jail time for not making your child go to school. If you don't have proper documentation to clear up the confusion, then you could be in serious trouble. You definitely need legal counsel.

Joy E Nguyen agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.