Clairton, PA asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: My father died in February of 2017. Stepmother refuses to let me see his will. How can I see it

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can try going to the Register of Wills in the county where your father died to see if the will has been probated. If it hasn't, then you need to contact a probate attorney for assistance.

Michael Drew Raisman

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Langhorne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If an estate was opened, you can go to the local Register of Wills. If not, you can file a Petition requiring your stepmother to produce the will. If there is no will, then the estate goes through intestate which would give 50% of the estate to his wife, and 50% to his children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.