Jackson, MS asked in Probate for Mississippi

Q: My Dad died yrs ago.My Mom died 11-07-17 she had some money and 9 acres and it’s just me and my sister my Mom didn’t

Make a will she wanted me and my sister to half everything would that be the right way?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Baskin Lowber Jones
Baskin Lowber Jones
  • Jackson, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Given your mother died without a will you will likely want to contact an attorney about setting up an estate. The estate will be able to deal with your mother's assets and move the property interest to the heirs. It sounds like you and your sister would be the heirs at law if your mother was not married at the time of her death and you are the only children.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.