Minneapolis, MN asked in Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for Minnesota

Q: A friend of mine belongs to a religion that practices shunning. Is this a good "leave me alone" type letter?

"Hello, from what I heard, you want me to attend a religious-based tribunal. From the looks of it, you are putting me on trial to see if I should remain a member of your faith. To ensure this tribunal is fair & unbiased, I will bring in my own representation & eyewitnesses to the said tribunal.

Any act which affects my standing within your group or the community at large will be seen as a defamation of my character & will result in such litigation. I also reserve the right to talk about my experiences to the media if I feel as though your actions are harmful. You can forward any inquiries about my life to my attorney. My attorney will inform you about the details of my life."

The religion goes out of their way to stalk, harass, & demean people who they believe broke their rules. My friend doesn't want their standing in their community affected. She just wants to be left alone & for them not to defame her just because she stopped attending.

Your thoughts?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Don't attend services at the facility of this "religion" (sounds like a cult), stop communicating with the "friend," move on with your life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.