Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Maine

Q: My dog bit my wife when I had my children and the Mom is refusing my visitation because of it. What can I do?

The dog is a puppy and my wife provoked the dog trying to take away something he shouldn't have had and that is the only time the dog bites if we yell at him and try to take away the object he's not allowed to have

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joe Lewis
Joe Lewis
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: As always, if you have court-ordered rights to visitation and your co-parent is getting in the way of that happening, you can simply take her back to court on a motion to enforce or a motion for contempt. If this is a persistent thing, or part of a larger co-parenting problem, you may wish to consider getting a new order by way of a motion to modify.

That said, it sounds like your children's mom is pretty freaked out by an incident that directly involves your children's environment. I think working with her and your current wife to develop a plan to not let the kids be in danger of a dog bite makes sense. This is a learning moment for all involved, eh? Even the puppy!

Best of luck.

- Joe

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.