Anchorage, AK asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Adoption for Alaska

Q: I have a child that’s been living with me for 13 1/2 years. She isn’t my blood or my adopted child but is my daughter.

I want to know how can I keep her with me permanently. She doesn’t like going over to the other persons house. She fights me because she hates it there. I just need help. The adoptive parent has never given me a dime for this child.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: The only permanent solution to this problem is adoption. That is something you would probably need legal help with, particularly if the legal parents are't cooperative. It is possible to do an adoption even if the legal parents aren't on board, but it might require a trial, which can be expensive if either of the legal parents contests it. You should schedule a consultation with an adoption lawyer. Once you've explained all the details, the lawyer will be able to give you your options and how difficult it will be. Bear in mind that if the parents fight the adoption, even the best lawyer can't tell you precisely how long it will take or what the cost will be. You will always be better off if you can persuade the parents to agree to the adoption before you start the process.

(Another alternative would be guardianship, in which you could get child support ordered, but in a guardianship there's no guarantee of permanence. If either of the parents becomes willing and able to care for the child, he or she can ask the court to return the child to his or her care.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.