Prattville, AL asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Alabama

Q: IF I have marijuana in my car and I get stopped by the cops and I give no suspicion but they ask to search and I say no

... and I say no to the search and they bring the dogs out and the dog finds it is that evidence in court ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: The answer depends on the reason the officers state was the reason they pulled you over. IF, and that's a big IF, the officers had no legitimate reason for the stop AND IF they admit that, the marijuana they seized should not be admitted into evidence against you. If, on the other hand, the officers give a valid reason for stopping you, then the marijuana they seized WILL be admitted into evidence, even if the reason for the stop was not related to the marijuana. Sometimes the officers will give what they think is a valid reason for the stop but they are mistaken and the reason they give is not a valid reason. In that case the marijuana will not be admitted. Here are some valid reasons for stopping you: any traffic violation, crossing the yellow line, speeding, taillight not operating, failure to stop for a stop sign. Here is a NON-valid reason: You looked suspicious, or they know you have a record and they wanted to see if you were holding.

WARNING: I am not your lawyer and providing you with the generic information, definition, clarification or explanation you seek about a legal matter on this anonymous forum does not make me your lawyer. By answering your question I am only trying to provide you with general information that will deepen your understanding of the legal concept that appears to be an issue for you, that will hopefully guide you in selecting and communicating with a lawyer of your choosing. The reason for all this is that legal problems are intensely fact-driven, and it is impossible to give anyone correct legal advice without comprehensive inquiry by the lawyer into the specific facts of the situation that concerns you, and the law of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and that is impossible to accomplish through this website. Even though I am not your lawyer, if I should later become your lawyer no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.