Metairie, LA asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: My step-daughter is 15. Can she be emancipated so that i could adopt her?

I have raised her since she was one years old. She has lived with me primarily since 2013. Her bio dad lives in another state and she has no desire to live there. Her mom rarely sees her, was recently diagnosed bipolar and has a drug problem. She has made no attempt to seek treatment for either, though i have attempted numerous times to help her get the help she needs. I have two other children with her naturally and feel like any attempt i would make to insulate them from her that she would blow my 15 year olds world up because i technically have no legal rights. Her mother has lived with four different men, in relationships in just the last year. She hasn't worked in the last year. Also she was recently hospitalized because she had an anxiety attack while high on drugs. No charges were filed but was confined to a mental ward for about a week. Not sure what i could do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Zitzmann
Mr. James Zitzmann
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Well, the court isn't going to emancipate her, but you can definitely file your own petition for custody. What is the legal custody arrangement currently? From what you've said, it sounds like you'd have a decent case against the mother, but the father might be able to fight it, depending on the circumstances. You'll need to get an attorney for this one because there are potentially a lot of moving parts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.