Ypsilanti, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Public Benefits for Michigan

Q: The state of Michigan named a guy the father of my two kids by default. He's not on birth

certificate and they do have His Last name. I was receiving state assistance at the time. Do he have legal rights to them? No DNA test was done.No contact from with him in 7yrs, do not know where he lives. I want to change their last name? He only fathered one child after figuring out actual conception dates. Do he have legal rights to my children?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Joseph Rizzo III
John Joseph Rizzo III
  • Traverse City, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I do not think that the state trying to get reimbursement from him for the assistance you received gives him any legal rights to the children. He could file a paternity action to get rights to the child that is his, but if he has not done that and he is not on the birth certificate, I do not see how he currently would have any rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.