Delmar, NY asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: Can a judge not award custody to the father even when the mother and child are living in a shelter and she is an addict?

My sons mother is a drug addict. Her brother od’d in her appt, and they were living without heat or hot water. The police have been called to the house and she even admitted to them she had been using and locking the 2 year old in his room. Even her parents and siblings have all written testimony the child needs to be removed from her care. What can we do??? This judges decision is madness! What recourse do we have?? This child is in a dangerous situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie E. Emanuel
Stephanie E. Emanuel
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Bronx, NY

A: Speak with a competent attorney to get the judge to reconsider his decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.