Metairie, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Can landlord kick me out of apartment / break my lease because my new neighbor is lying on me With noise/music complaint

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: short answer, yes. Most lease agreements, and Louisiana law, require that you lease without interrupting others' use and enjoyment of their property. So, if the landlord is receiving complaints and providing notices, it is best to show either that you cured the violation, or that there is a misunderstanding. If you maintain that you are not playing loud music, the best option would be to discuss this with the landlord and address the times of the alleged violations (perhaps you were at work/out of town?) and you may be able to offer other witness' written accounts to support your position and spur the landlord to do a bit more investigation before proceeding with an eviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.