Richmond, VA asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability, Business Law and Lemon Law for Virginia

Q: What can I do if a recall has left my car undrivable for 5 months?

My car failed VA state inspection due to a faulty sensor that is currently under recall by Jeep. However, the replacement part for the recall will not be available until April of 2018 which leaves me paying a car payment for 5 months with a car I cannot legally drive and also adds additional expenses of obtaining rides while I am without a car. What legal recourse do I have against the car company?

I have already contacted Jeep (from the recall notice) directly and they said there is nothing they can do until the parts are available in April and also filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Contact the Center for Automotive Safety, see if there is any class action or bad faith action for such conduct--they should,at a minimum, authorize a rental.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.