Cicero, IL asked in Foreclosure, Civil Litigation and Probate for Illinois

Q: What form do I need to file in order to be added to a forclosure case, and speak on behalf of the heirs/ defendants

My grandmother passed and the family wasn't aware of the forclosure. My mother's name is also on the deed. My grandmother never took her off before she died.

2 Lawyer Answers
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Did the grandmother put the mother's name on house after she took out the mortgage.

A: Unless you are an attorney you cannot represent your mother. You also cannot "add" yourself as a defendant unless you have some legal or equitable interest in the real estate, and it doesn't sound like you do. Assuming your mother is a named defendant she should file an appearance in her own name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.