Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Land Use & Zoning for Illinois on
Q: who enforces (765 ILCS 160/) Common Interest Community Association Act when the declaration and covenants aren't honored

I'm the adjacent property to a townhome association and they do not honor their obligations stated in their declaration. Specifically the sections that refer to my property being the Dominant Tenement and various zoning and municipal code ordinances that has actually caused serious damage to... Read more »

Frederick A. Lurie
Frederick A. Lurie answered on Apr 26, 2022

You provide only general information so one can only provide a general answer. No neither you nor the police can force the Association to furnish you with its insurance policy unless you file suit for property damage, violation of an easement or whatever wrong has been committed. The declaration is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Construction Law for Illinois on
Q: Is it possible to hire an attorney in the middle of a litigation if I am representing myself currently?

I am looking for an attorney to help me with a mandatory arbitration. I had a terrible experience with a law firm. We parted ways. I would like to find someone experienced in construction law as we are in the middle of our process. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley answered on Mar 8, 2022

My office handles construction disputes. I would be happy to discuss. I can be reached directly at 312-527-4545.

Thank you.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Employment Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: Illinois removal from federal court

I am a plaintiff in a case in which the defendant removed the case from state to federal court. It has now been remanded back to state court. Defendants filed a motion to dismiss in fed court which wasnt resolved. Defendants are now seeking to dismiss case in state court based upon the motion to... Read more »

Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman answered on Feb 26, 2022

I believe that once the federal court is divested of jurisdiction and thus any authority over the pending case, that the motion to dismiss filed in federal court would have to be filed in the state proceeding to heard. That seems to be the case where although the motion to dismiss was filed in the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Illinois on
Q: My landlord is saying because of 735 ILCS 5, I had to give 30 days notice before my 12 month lease ended

My 12 month lease ends the 28th of February. It is very clearly stated and there is no clause in my lease stating I need to give notice 30 days prior. I gave 29 days notice and now my landlord is fighting me and saying I have to stay and pay March rent

Ana M. McNamara
Ana M. McNamara answered on Feb 11, 2022

The statute you quoted is incomplete. It should read 735 ILCS 5/ ___ and a number after the slash in order to point to a relevant section of the statute that your landlord is reading. At any rate, you are not required to give thirty days notice unless it specifically states so in your lease.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Social Security for Illinois on
Q: I'm on SSI Disability can I be garnished by a collection agency about a credit card that I've been unable to pay on?

It's a collection agency who is taking me to court tomorrow via a zoom call. I've not been able to pay on it due to everything going up in price and I live on a very low income and am behind on my water bill and several other bills. I was behind on rent until just recently, over a year... Read more »

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady answered on Jan 26, 2022

Your inability to pay does not stop the entry of judgment. If there is already a judgment and you are up on a post judgment citation or garnishment, you should read and be aware of the exemption provisions of the post judgment code of civil procedure. Specifically, 735 ILCS5/2-1402 states at (b)(1)... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: Can you sue an affair partner for emotion distress?

My husband and I are married and not legally separated. I have proof of his affair and I am interested in suing the affair partner for emotional distress.

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Dec 7, 2021

No, not any longer. The lawsuit you are referring to is Alienation of Affection, and it was repealed in IL.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Illinois on
Q: Can someone be charged and held in prison under an alias name?

My father was a teenager when he was charged of committing murder in the 90’s. He is under a different name. When you search him , they have his birthday and a alias name.

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Nov 15, 2021

Yes, criminal charges are possible when the law-enforcement does not know the actual, legal, or true name of the suspect, so, the charges may be filed under any name available or given to the authorities. As in the case with your family member you could see that could happen.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Illinois on
Q: How can I motion to exclude evidence from discovery of a video that skips and lapse in time?

Can a plaintiff use a video that skips and lapse in time for evidence in their case or can I motion to exclude it from being seen?

If so, under what grounds can I motion?

Video goes up to minute 2 then skips to 2:30 to 3:15 then skips to 4:05, lot of the video seem altered.

Dan Nold
Dan Nold answered on Oct 1, 2021

You could do a motion in limine asking to bar the video due to lack of foundation. If it’s edited in some way, it has been altered and wouldn’t meet foundational requirements to be admissible evidence.

Probably a good issue to have a lawyer handle. Each county is different and has...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: how to get a family member out of home.

3 brothers have inherited a large home, one of the brothers are living there and cannot maintain the home due to alcoholism. Each has a 1/3 of real estate as stated in the will. He refused to pay the other 2 brothers rent or expenses. He needs to go to detox and rehab. He is incapable to help with... Read more »

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady answered on Oct 1, 2021

Illinois has a partition statute to handle situations concerning jointly held real property. The statute is found at 735 ILCS 5/17-101, et seq. If you read section 105 you will see that the court has the power to determine if the property can be divided among the parties without prejudice to any of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: Can a plaintiff contact potential witnesses before their attorney does?
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 18, 2021

That maybe improper depending on Plaintiff’s intent and purpose which may create witness tampering situation.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Libel & Slander, Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: Can a person take a picture of my car to use as evidence in their case?

A petitioner took a picture of my car to use for their evidence because they say that my car resembles a car they have video of but not plate number. The person took the picture without asking me. I explained that just because my car is the same model in their video doesn’t mean it proves it’s... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 15, 2021

No one needs your permission to take a picture of your car if it is visible anywhere. In fact, the photograph may be offered into evidence as corroborating evidentiary exhibit that may show that the make, model, shape, color and the type of the vehicle matches the one on the video.

Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for Illinois on
Q: If I won monetary judgement and know that the other party will not pay, what is the next step?

I won my case for selling a car with a vehicle sales agreement. The other party did not show. I see lots of things on the docket that I am not sure about. Due Date , satisfied, 851- Judgement, what do these headings mean?

Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady answered on Jun 30, 2021

You should reference 735 ILCS 5/2-1401 for post judgment proceedings. Make sure that your order is final and appealable, meaning that it resolves all claims brought against all parties in the action. Assuming that to be the case, you will likely want to file a citation to discover assets, a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Illinois on
Q: What part of the law would I find Bias Judgement, Colleagues, and what to do when case involves a Circuit Clerk employee

I have a custody case were the sister works for the Circuit Clerks office. Her and the girlfriend came up with a well calculated plan to make my character out to be a low life junkie so my ex could gain custody. They have gone as far as emailing where I live stating I deal drugs out of my... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 1, 2021

your efforts are better spent working on your custody issues. Arrange a visitiation eval with a social worker, etc. but you need an attorney. d.i.y. is getting you nowhere. Trying to tell a judge the system is biased doesn't get an unrepresented person anywhere. You need an attorney to build a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: My mother bought me a car as a gift and now she's trying to take it back.

I have the registration and all paperwork she was suppose to insure it but didn't. I called about insuring it today when I got a call from the local police asking me to drop the vehicle off. She bought the car and has the title and it's in her name but she has never had possession of it or the keys.

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Mar 8, 2021

Not sure what your question is here. If the police are involved, you might want to consider giving the car back to her right away.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Federal Crimes for Illinois on
Q: Can the grand jury use the same evidence to indict you again for the same charge?

1st indictment for distribution didn't have probable cause but he was still indicted. How can grand jury indict again with the same evidence and add another charge and co conspirator?

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Jan 28, 2021

This is really something to discuss with the Defendant's attorney. Only their attorney will have the needed information in order to address your concerns. If they have not hired an attorney yet, they need to do so right away. The sooner an attorney is hired, the better.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation and Employment Discrimination for Illinois on
Q: will bankruptcy get rid of this lawsuit?

I was injured at work, was on workers comp for several months and was cut off right before surgery by the whole insurance playing their games. my wc lawyer pawned me off to another "trial" lawyer who then pawned me off to another "new guy in the firm" lawyer who completely... Read more »

Cynthia Pietrucha
Cynthia Pietrucha answered on Dec 14, 2020

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. You should immediately reach out to a competent attorney to address the pending lawsuit from the actual company. At the very least you will need to complete consultation to fully understand your options.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Bankruptcy for Illinois on
Q: Can a judgement creditor stop the sale of my car?

I am trying to trade in a vehicle that is completely paid off. There is a memorandum of judgement for old credit card debt against me. This debt is only in my name, but the car is owned by both my wife and I. If I apply for a duplicate title, will the state stop the issuance of the title to me? Can... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Dec 9, 2020

Unless there is a judgment lien against the vehicle, it should not affect your transfer snd sale of the vehicle.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Illinois on
Q: What is legally required to prove an intent to defraud how is that profen?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 5, 2020

An Illinois attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. As a GENERAL matter throughout the nation (keep in mind that civil or penal codes in different states could define fraud in their own specific manner), fraud involves the intent to deceive through representing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Estate Planning for Illinois on
Q: I have a question about estate and executor doing things he shouldn’t.

Our dad passed recently, the brother who is the executor has taken assets without the other siblings consent and sold them or is keeping them and not returning them. He is not following what is supposed to be done. We need to know what we should do, tried talking to him but he ignores us and is... Read more »

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm answered on Nov 17, 2020

You need to immediately retain an estate litigation attorney to bring an action for his immediate removal for breach of his fiduciary duty as executor and for him to make a complete accounting. A surcharge action needs to brought against him for losses that the estate has incurred by him stealing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for Illinois on
Q: I have a judgement in wisconsin that's around 10 years old I just got an letter that they want to garnish my wages

They have never before this point tried to collect on it they have even sent me letters over the years trying to get me to come get another car thru them I dont have the money to pay them me and my husband dont make that much and we have three kids

Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley answered on Nov 5, 2020

State statutes have provisions by which judgments can be revived. You do not identify if the action is pending in Wisconsin or Illinois. Regardless, I would strongly recommend that you have a consultation with an attorney whose practice is concentrated in consumer law, to review whether the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.