Brewton, AL asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: How do I aid in getting a Domestic Violence 2nd Degree charged dropped or dismissed in Alabama?

My husband was recently charged with this crime without me giving a statement to the officers stating that I was choked by him which I wasn't. We had recently about 3 hours prior to the officers coming out got into a shirt pulling arm grabbing confrontation which I initiated. He tried to leave and I wouldn't allow him to. Well the officers saw scratches on both of us and old marks on my neck where scabs had recently fell came off and took upon themselves to say he choked me. Which he didn't do. How do I help aid in this case? This is the first time something of this nature has happened with us since we've been together. Prior to us getting together he was charged with a DV 3rd for pushing his ex off of him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: This is a set of facts which the Court will sort out. It is not up to you to drop charges or some such. He is going to trial. He needs to get a criminal defense attorney and he needs to get one right now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.