Fayetteville, AR asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Arkansas

Q: My ex lIves in Texas and I live here in Arkansas, I have a two month old baby who was born here in this state. Now he

Wants to take my son away from me and take him to Texas with him, I want to stop answering his messages but he says I could get in trouble if I do, is that true,? What can I do to keep him away from us,? My son has my last name, I left him because he treat me bad during my pregnancy until I left him around 6 months, it's a complicated situation if that helps

1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It's always complicated when you are being mistreated by the man who should love you and the baby with no conditions. I can only answer some of your questions because the answer depends on a lot of things. Let's see if we can help a bit.

If the child has lived in Arkansas for the last six months then Arkansas has jurisdiction over the case. Any case being filed regarding the child has to be in Arkansas even now. You are smart to get legal help. If you are not married to the father of the child then the law says that he has no legal right to the child until he seeks such rights from a Judge.

You don't have to ever answer his calls or texts. You really need a lawyer to ensure he doesn't take the child to Texas without your permission. So this today. Get someone who will answer your calls. I make sure all my clients have my cell number so get someone like that.

Whatever you do, get a lawyer right away. Get your family to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.