Asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: If i marry my fiance even though he is illegal after that can he file for papers to become an American citizen

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Edit Stelczner
Edit Stelczner PRO label
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Assuming you are a US citizen and he meets all requirements yes you can sponsor him for immigrant visa. It is best to consult an attorney so you get through this process without any mistakes or delays. Congrats on your engagement!

Rehim Babaoglu
Rehim Babaoglu
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your Q requires more Qs from me in order to give you the correct advice. If he's a visa overstay - yes, you can sponsor him.If he's an entrant without inspection (EWI) he must visa process abroad at his home country's U.S. consulate.I would urge you to consult with and hire an immigration lawyer to assist you with this case. Not because I think you’re not capable of handling it, you may will be, but in order for the lawyer to debrief and brief you, analyze, assess and evaluate your case in order to maximize the possibilities for a successful result.

Again, your question requires too many questions on my part and too many answers on your part before I can even formulate recommendations as to the course(s) of action you should take.

"Immigration law is a mystery and a mastery of obfuscation, and the lawyers who can figure it out are worth their weight in gold."…Immigration & Nationality Service spokeswoman.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.