Philadelphia, PA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: I have been taking care of my foster child sense she was born, she is now 8 years old and have been adopted by her aunt

I still take care of her as my own daughter and she looks at me as her father but now I want actual legal connection to her, is there anything I can do as far as adoption or otherwise to make that happen?

1 Lawyer Answer
William N. Sosis
William N. Sosis
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hackettstown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you were with her since birth until she was eight then you are likely to be deemed her psychological father by the court. It's important to your foster child's well-being that you stay in her life. You should contact an attorney to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.