Asked in Divorce for Missouri

Q: Preparing to Separate. Married 38 years. Primary breadwinner. Husband retired military, chooses not to work.

I don't want home. I don't want his retirement. I don't want to pay support or lose my retirement. How do I proceed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: This issues in a divorce and legal separation can be categorized into assets, debts, maintenance (or alimony) if it applies, and child support and custody if you have minor children. There is a good way to approach resolving these issues, and there are not so good ways. Litigation can be very expensive and pits spouses against each other. Many times the best way to proceed is to seek out a divorce attorney that also offers out-of-court dispute resolution alternatives that are lower in conflict and more structured ways of problem solving. Divorce mediation and collaborative divorce services are two lower conflict methods of resolving your issues. I recommend contacting a divorce attorney in your area that offers one of these alternatives and speak to them about which way to proceed could benefit you in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.