San Francisco, CA asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for Connecticut

Q: I believe close relatives are taking advantage of my fathers diminished mental capacity as it relates

to his ownership of properties and distribution at death. He does not have a will and his name is not on the deeds anymore (unsure why removed) but the plan was they quit claim it back to him at 50%. He recently changed his mind. Is there anything his child can do legally to get this back as I prepare for his managed care? short of making sure he has a will for whatever assets are left?

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Basche
Steven Basche
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • West Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You can petition the probate court to have a conservator appointed for your father. This will give you the power to take control and manage assets in his name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.