Houston, TX asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: can my ex keep me away from my kids? she put me on child support and wants me to pay but that i can't see my daughters?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Hoelscher
Joseph Hoelscher pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas, child support and visitation are separate issues. She cannot legally deny you visitation according to a court order just because you are behind on child support. That said, you do NOT want to be behind on child support in Texas. The Texas Attorney General is aggressive and the penalty for getting behind can include jail. A lawyer can help you lower your child support if it was set too high for your current income and can seek penalties against your ex. At a minimum, you should get some make up time and she'll get a stern warning. Just be prepared to deal with the child support issue.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.