Asked in Child Custody for Texas

Q: If custodial parent failed to get my son after visitation ends what happens to the child support order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Hoelscher
Joseph Hoelscher pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This depends, but the short answer is nothing happens until you go to court and get a new order. Until the child support order is modified, you are potentially liable for whatever support you fail to pay and the AG will keep deducting the support if they have an order that allows them to do so. Depending on how long you have the child, you may be able to take custody/conservatorship and end your child support obligation. You can call the Office of the Attorney General, Child Support Division and ask them for assistance or hire your own lawyer. The OAG is free, but they represent Texas and are just concerned about making sure somebody is paying. However, they do have a process for this situation, although it can take some time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.