Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can you get an EPO dropped off someone in jail?

We have had an epo present before and dropped it.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Joseph Hoelscher

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Inmates can be served in Texas. The policies vary by penal institution and by county for jails. An experienced process server may be able to help, but we find service through the Sheriff's Office to be the best way in our county. The court clerks can explain how to get citation and request service by your Sheriff's Office. The fees are usually reasonable, although a lawyer can definitely help.

Kiele Linroth Pace

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: An EPO can be modified or vacated by the magistrate who issued it. See Texas Code of Criminal Procedure 17.292.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.