Asked in Small Claims and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: How do I go about taking court action for being locked out of the double wide me and my girlfriend rented a room in.

The guy we rented from did not get park approval and so got a thirty day eviction notice. We had him sign a rental agreement but he won't return our deposit and he never said anything about us moving out we started packing anyways but upon asking him about us getting our deposit back when we were gone he changed the locks and put our stuff outside his defence about not giving the deposit back is that he had to get a lawyer because our dog(which he authorized to be there) had an incident where he barked at a couple and they complained to management and as it turns out the renter was not allowed to rent out any part of his home under any circumstances and our dog was much to large by there rules. what should we file in court and the deposit was 350 and rent was 750 so should I sue him for 1,500 and how do I get him to pay court costs

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It does sound as if you may have a variety of claims against your ex-landlord. You may wish to review everything with a local landlord-tenant attorney to determine exactly how much and how to best go about filing suit. Even if you get a Judgment against him though, you may still have a problem collecting it, which may be another good reason to involve an attorney before filing in court (if you win in regular court, he will likely also be liable for your attorney's fees as well as court costs - but only your court costs if you proceed in small claims court).

Mr. Michael O. Stevens agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.