Detroit, MI asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Ohio

Q: I was issued a summons of Judgment by mail on 01/16/2018.

The summons of Judgment is for past due medical bills. I was given 28 days to answer the summons. My husband and I were able to gather the $1616.35 owed plus the $110 for the attorneys filing fee. For a total of $1726.35. There is no interest amount stated. Who do I contact to pay this before it fully goes to court? Also seeing as I plan on paying this do I still need to file an answer qith the court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Martin Broyles
Bruce Martin Broyles
  • Lancaster, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes. You need to file an answer. Even if you intend to pay the amount in full, you need to either file an answer or contact the attorney who filed the complaint to get the complaint dismissed. Otherwise you will have a judgment rendered against you. A judgment can hurt your credit rating. It is something you can do on your own, but you may want to find an attorney who would help for a nominal fee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.