Saint Paul, MN asked in Juvenile Law for Minnesota

Q: What can the charges be for auto theft and Resisting an officer? (Juvenile)

So my bestfriend just got out of JDC on Dec. 29 2017. On Jan. 2 2018 my bestfriend and his friend were driving around and had gotten pulled over. His friend had stolen the car and my friend didn't know. So when they got pulled over my bestfriend got out and ran (They also had marijuana in the car). (148 (a)(1) PC).

Just yesterday I found out his friend who stole the car is out and not locked up because he said my friend had stolen the car (when he wasn't) and he snitched and said my friend was the one with the marijuana when yet it was him.

So when they go to court, what will prove that my friend never stole the car and never brought the weed?

Also I heard for the 148 (a)(1) PC charge its a one year max in JDC and/or a $1000 fine.

So wouldn't you think he would get a $1000 fine since he literally just got out 4 days before?

How could he beat this case? He doesn't have money to afford a lawyer but he does have an probation officer

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: It sounds like the situation is complicated beyond what is written here. But form is written here, it appears your friend is possibly facing a felony charge in juvenile court in Minnesota, related to car theft, riding in a stolen car, or possession of marijuana. If he already has a probation officer, this raises the possibility that he may have a prior juvenile delinquency cases that he is still on probation for. It's difficult to say much that could be helpful without at least a dialogue on the phone, but it's clear that he needs help from a criminal defense lawyer. He will probably get a court-appointed criminal defense lawyer (public defender). He could also hire a private criminal defense lawyer, perhaps with family help. Either way, he should fully discuss all the facts and details of his case with his lawyer. Once the lawyer has good information, he or she should be able to provide good advice and representation.

One issue that may come up is knowledge. If you know you are riding on a stolen car, you may have a criminal law problem. Similarly, if you knowingly possess marijuana, even though someone else bought it or owns it, again, you may have a criminal law problem in Minnesota while marijuana is still illegal. (Hopefully it will be legal one day soon.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.