Andover, MN asked in Criminal Law for Minnesota

Q: Can I fight a marijuana possession charge if I did not sign or receive a citation at time of incident?

The citation was mailed to incorrect address and returned to sender. They finally got the address correct 45 days later and stated I missed the court date and license will be suspended if fine and court costs are not paid in 30 days. I had called court house twice to determine if there was actually a citation issued as I had not received one within 30 days of incident and they informed me they had no record of it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Luke Neuville
Luke Neuville
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Yes, you can always fight your criminal charges/citation. Generally, the state is given three years to prosecute most misdemeanors and some felonies. Mailing to incorrect address and returned to sender may not be sufficient to get a charge dismissed, but there may be other issues you can raise in your case. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.