Woodbridge, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: I got a ticket for reckless driving in Virginia on Nov. 11, 2017.

The date on my summons to appear in court is January 25th 2017. The officer apparently messed up on the date. When I check online my case is not in the court system. The date to appear in court is before the ticket was issued. How can I appear in court before I committed the infraction? What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wilfred Yeargan
Wilfred Yeargan pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Sometimes the ticket is given to the clerk right before the court date. You should consult with a lawyer who can help you get the charge possibly dismissed or reduced to a traffic infraction. It is charged as a Class 1 misdemeanor and you may face jail time, high fines, and loss of license. Not to mention a permanent criminal conviction on your record. Call my office if you want a free consultation at 703-352-9044.

Matthew Lane Kreitzer agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.