Asked in Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: My boyfriend was wrongfully arrested for domestic violence. How do I get charges dismissed?

I told the arresting officers he never hit, punched or even pushed me. He would never but they arrested him anyway. How do I get these charges dropped.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: There was some basis for the arrest other than your statements. The officers saw marks on you, or had some other basis for the arrest. The important thing for you to understand is that this is out of your hands. Who called the police? Why? What was going on? If your boyfriend is falsely accused, who accused him? You? You can tell the court that you made the whole thing up, and that your injuries came from something else. You might be prosecuted yourself for false reporting. You might want to contact a woman's shelter or other such place to get some counseling on this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.