Louisville, KY asked in Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: My friend is in court right now I first offense possession of heroin possession of meth possession of Contraband she

She has them to court twice already what opportunities to hire her own lawyer she does not have one this is the third time so proceedings must go on should she represent herself and plead not guilty?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brendan Joseph McLeod
Brendan Joseph McLeod
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Prospect, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: She is entitled to a public defender. Often, and I am mean always, there are private attorneys in the courtroom that day. If you had $250-$500 one would gladly help. The case, if like Jefferson County, would spread out over a long period of time waiting for KSP (Kentucky State Police) to finish the testing of the substance to make sure it is properly charged. All these charges are Class D felonies and Housebill 463 makes them a presumption to be released on your own recognizance, if even arrested. No court in Kentucky, no matter how backwards, should be able to make you go forward without an attorney. All counties have some form of Public Defender system.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.