Brooklyn, NY asked in Probate for New Jersey

Q: My mother passed 2/6/17 and has some stock in her name. The beneficiary forms to make my sisters and I equal beneficiars

Never went through. We were not notified. It was put on my mothers online account. She was legally blind and would not have know how to Check that . What can we do to claim

Her stock. It has now increased in value . How long before the value goes to

The state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marcel Wurms
Marcel Wurms
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lodi, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Just contact the company. They will send you the correct forms to fill out. You will likely need to fill out an affidavit of residence and provide the death certificate and letters of administration. You will also likely need to have some of the forms authenticated with a "medallion guarantee". Most commercial banks can help you out.

Disclaimer: The provided information is for informational purposes only. This should not be construed as the providing of legal advice, since facts and circumstances of each matter can affect the correctness of this advice. An attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice. Any advice given here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.