Antioch, TN asked in Divorce, Health Care Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Tennessee

Q: we have been divorced 14 years. He says he cannot get health insurance this year. i have to because he cannot qualify.

It is in the divorce decree that he maintains health insurance.Do i pick up the insurance since he is claiming he cannot?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your question does not specify, but I assume this health insurance is for minor children? If he provides documentation that he has been turned down/does not qualify, then I would purchase substitute insurance. ( Its always better to have some health insurance in the event of unforseen medical bills- if you don't have anything, your kids go without or you have to pay big bills of out own pocket).If he applied and tried to get insurance, he probably has some paperwork explaining why he was turned down- insist that he provide this proof. However, if you provide the insurance, you ex will owe you the extra cost of that since the divorce decree says he is supposed to provide it. However, you will need to file a petition to modify the decree in order to collect these costs from you ex. You should consult your divorce lawyer for a specific course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.