Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: what is the punishment for possesion of less than a gram of meth?

i have no prior record

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Benson Varghese

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: 180 days to 2 years in State Jail, with deferred being the most likely outcome.

Matthew Valley

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: As Attorney Varghese has stated, the punishment range is 180 days to 2 years in a state jail facility. If you were to actually serve jail time on this charge, it would be day for day, except for a potential release at 85% time with approval of the court for good behavior. If you have a clean record then you are actually entitled to at least regular probation (conviction and underlying sentence determined) for this charge even if you lose at trial, thus the high likelihood of getting a plea bargain for deferred adjudication probation(successful completion means no conviction) in many counties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.