Boston, MA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: Currently applying for NIW GC. Can I change from H1B to F1 and still wait for my GC or I have to be on H1.


I am currently in the process of applying for my GC through the NIW category. I am currently on H1. I am really interested in pursuing a course that needs to be full time. Hence I need to convert to F1 in future. Can my GC application still be valid if I change status or do I have to remain on H1 till my GC is approved?

Also, Can I change status when my I140 is approved or I cannot do it at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger Carl Algase
Roger Carl Algase
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Unfortunately, changing to F-1 while a green card case is pending is not allowed. F-1 status requires "nonimmigrant intent", i.e. intention to return to one's country after the completion of studies and not to remain in the US permanently. Applying for or being sponsored for a green card negates "nonimmigrant intent" and therefore disqualifies the person for F-1.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.