Rocky Hill, CT asked in Elder Law for Massachusetts

Q: My mother in law is in a nursing home.

Her son is POA and we would like the nursing home to manage her checking account.Her SS, pension and annuities are all direct deposit and are used for he PPA monthly. What forms are needed to initiate this process.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: The nursing home can advise you on what they would like or need . Potentially they would want a conservator to be appointed and if family members are not willing to serve the Court has a list of fiduciaries who would be paid from his assets and income. The Nursing Home may have their doctor participate in preparation of the Medical Certificate for the Petition and a temporary conservator may be needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.