Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: Can I sue a city for ignoring pleas for help because of abuse by their employee ? Police Officer.

I am separated from my husband which is a police officer and I have begged his chief and the mayor for help to stop him and they sweep it under the rug,They know he does it on duty,uses their car and leaves the city to chase me,he has been arrested for domestic violence and still has his job and still hurts me and nobody will do anything, I need an attorney to stop him and make them pay for not listening to me and allowing me to still be hurt, this has been going on for 3 years now and I have tried to document everything and I have just had to have him arrested again this week and he has already came back on my property, Please someone help me before he kills me ! I am already in the system of the AG victims unit but I am scared and need help now ! I don't know where else to turn ! He just keeps getting away with everything !

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: You are not the first person to face this problem, and you will not be the last. However, assuming that the facts are as you say, a good, aggressive plaintiff's lawyer stands a good chance of filing suit and winning and getting you meaningful relief and damages. Naturally, these kinds of cases are not easy, but they are by no means impossible. Here's a hint: Look for a good, aggressive lawyer in an Alabama city and county other than your own. Some lawyers are reluctant to go up against politicians and police in their own home town or county.

Good luck finding the right lawyer and good luck with your case.

WARNING: I am not your lawyer and providing you with the generic information, definition, clarification or explanation you seek about a legal matter on this anonymous forum does not make me your lawyer. By answering your question I am only trying to provide you with general information that will deepen your understanding of the legal concept that appears to be an issue for you, that will hopefully guide you in selecting and communicating with a lawyer of your choosing. The reason for all this is that legal problems are intensely fact-driven, and it is impossible to give anyone correct legal advice without comprehensive inquiry by the lawyer into the specific facts of the situation that concerns you, and the law of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and that is impossible to accomplish through this website. Even though I am not your lawyer, if I should later become your lawyer no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.