Camden, NJ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Education Law for New Jersey

Q: Do I have to wait until I graduate highschool to move with my grandmom.

I am 18. And my mom keeps saying I can’t leave because I am in highschool and I don’t graduate until next year. She claims it’s a new law. She also stated if I were to call the cops and have a cop escort me out that they wouldn’t be able to because she has legal rights until I finish school.

1 Lawyer Answer
William N. Sosis
William N. Sosis
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle Park, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Provided you have no disability that prevents you from understanding your legal rights, you can move out at 18 (but you cannot consume any alcohol until you're 21). But you and your mom should seek family counseling first. Also talk to your grandmother before leaving home. She may be able to help resolve whatever issues you're having with your mom. Leaving home is a giant step involving problems you never anticipated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.