Windsor Mill, MD asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: My Dad died in 2014 and my mom has not set up estate.I hear my kids are left money.

My parents didn’t get along but remained married. I was told my mom went to settle but didn’t becuase my Dad left most of money to my kids.My father passed in 2014 and I just wanna know how I find out. Not a fan of disputes but it’s a nice sum of money and just sitting. My sister Ibelieve was also left money for her wedding and Need to know as she is engaged. Thanks in advance

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John B. Whalen, Jr.
John B. Whalen, Jr.
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wayne, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Hello ...

My condolences ... You're best first step is to check with the Register of Wills in the County where your father passed away ... That information is public knowledge ... The people at the Register of Wills are very helpful and can answer most of your non-legal questions (they cannot give out legal information ...

Also - ask your mother ... Maybe I am missing something, but it sounds like she would have information also ...

Good luck ...


Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I assume from your question that your dad had a Will. You need to find it and determine who was named Executor/Executrix. That person needs to open an estate. If your mom was named and she will not do it, you need to get a lawyer and have her renounce or be legally removed.

If you cannot find a Will, you will need to get a lawyer to open an estate and have you named as Administrator.

Your mom is entitled, by law, to one-third of the estate, even if she was completely cut out of the Will, if your dad died in Pennsylvania and this would be a Pennsylvania estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.