Saddle Brook, NJ asked in Wrongful Death for New Jersey

Q: My son was shot and killed on th street of Paterson Nj can I bring a wrongful death suit against anyone he was 37

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Your feelings of a world upside down are natural. Unfortunately you can only sue someone if a) they can be identified and b) there is a reason to believe you will ever see anything out of it.

At this time cooperate with the police. If they can find someone, then at that point you can contact a member of the NJ Assn for Justice to see what can be done civillly if anything. In most cases nothing, but it depends on who what when where how--none of which seem to be known.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.